Sunday 30 January 2011

30th Jan 2011: Oh what have I done

Took off my walking boot tonight (to get jeans off) Stood up on crutches, left crutch slipped whilst I had full weight on it, and I instinctively put full weight on the foot. The pain was incredible.  It was far, far worse than when I originally ruptured the tendon.

Where I had the stitches out was now open and bleeding again.  Charlotte called an ambulance because the pain just would not subside.  Gas and air was the only relief that worked, and I was carted off to A&E.  A&E was empty so I was seen almost right away - a junior on call doctor had a look, but could really not tell anything, and I got a taxi back home again, with instructions to get myself to Orthopaedic outpatients on Monday Morning.  The pain eventually subsided.  I took the boot off and made an additional cardboard wedge so my foot pointed down in the same position as when it was originally cast.

Feeling very miserable.  I think I've probably reruptured the tendon after just 3 weeks.  I did the Thompsons test on myself the following morning, and it was exactly like the day I snapped it  - no movement at all.  I wonder if it shows any results so soon after surgery?  I would imagine it would, as technically the tendon is attached again.

No comments:

Post a Comment